Siding on your home is an essential factor in keeping you protected from the elements in our state, such as strong winds, hail, rain storms and heavy snow. You want siding that is durable, able to withstand both scorching and freezing temperatures, as well as something that looks attractive and sturdy. There are many different kinds of siding materials to consider from companies all over the world, so making a decision can be tough. According to many home remodeling magazines and resources, replacing siding significantly adds to your property’s resale value. Perhaps in an effort to save money, you might be thinking about doing the job yourself, but is this a good idea? Here are some of the factors you will need to take into account before you choose a DIY installation project:
- You need special tools, including a power saw, level, zip tool and square.
- You will need to remove all the old siding, which will require taking out every single nail with a claw hammer or pry bar.
- The old siding will have to be taken down, piece by piece.
- City ordinances require you properly dispose of all the siding and other old materials, usually at the city dump; otherwise you may have to pay a fine.
- A thorough inspection of the area where replacement siding will go should be conducted to make sure there are no holes or cracks which could let moisture in.
- A city permit may be required, therefore you will have to check to see if one is needed, and if so, pay for it and ascertain what the rules are for proper installation. A final inspection will need to be scheduled if you want full approval.
- Decide whether or not you have the skills and experience needed to purchase the right type of siding (vinyl, fiber cement), as well as properly install it.
If you’re hesitant about any of these items, it’s best to call a top siding contractor in Michigan to do the work.
Do your homework before you get started
If you need important information about new siding installation, residential or commercial, check out Home Improvement Michigan. This site is a great resource if you’re considering new siding, roof repairs or replacement, gutters, plumbing, kitchen and bath, flooring, windows, doors and many other home improvement projects. There you will find the best roofing professionals, siding contractors and building experts, and everyone is licensed, insured and certified to perform work in our state, including Wayne County, Downriver MI, Washtenaw County and many cities such as Ann Arbor, Novi, Ypsilanti, Southgate, Wyandotte and Riverview. There are a great deal of siding contractors in Michigan that all want your business, but if you find them on sites that are known for scams, or in newspapers that aren’t reputable, you could be risking your wallet as well as your home’s value. Seasoned siding installers have expertise in siding repairs, replacement and installation. You may want to use one building company to do all the remodeling projects for you to save time, money and also so each component will match. You want your gutters, roof and siding to complement each other, so when your house renovation is complete everything ties in perfectly. It’s all about the big picture, and an experienced building contractor will be able to give you a free estimate on how much the labor and materials will be, often providing a discount if you are bundling several items. Many offer warrantees, low interest loans and financing, and budget-friendly payment plans. It’s best to ask before you sign a contractor, that way you can weigh every aspect, including cost, quality and time.
New siding will make your home pop
Some homeowners who haven’t yet replaced their worn, outdated siding don’t realize how impactful such a renovation can be. There are many styles and colors of siding to choose from, including fiber cement which is recognized for its stability and low maintenance. Insulated vinyl, metal, wood, brick and stucco are other options. Some are more costly than others, while particular varieties are eco-friendly, waterproof and never need repainting. Name brands such as James Hardie siding are known for being stylish and functional, that’s why they are so popular. When you visit Home Improvement Michigan you will be astounded by how much there is to choose from in your neighborhood. It’s easier to make an educated decision about home improvement projects when you compare your options first.